While heart disease kills nearly 700,000 Americans each year, we’ve been brainwashed into believing that cholesterol is the culprit. In fact, the real danger is something far more pervasive but far more controllable.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS, nutritionist and coauthor, with cardiologist Stephen Sinatra, MD, of The Great Cholesterol Myth, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to talk about the pivotal role that insulin resistance plays in triggering deadly heart disease…and why this blood sugar–boosting condition keeps getting overlooked by most doctors.
Topics covered include…
- Heart disease: The #1 killer of men and women (5:10 – 6:00)
- Harm can begin even in teenagers (6:00 – 6:30)
- Heart health helps protect against serious COVID-19 (6:30 – 7:05)
- The link to type 2 diabetes, obesity and Alzheimer’s disease (7:05 – 10:28)
- Fighting the insidious nature of childhood obesity (10:28 – 12:58)
- Why cholesterol isn’t the right target (12:58 – 13:57)
- The tests you should be getting (13:57 – 15:24)
- What your LDL and HDL levels could really mean (15:24 – 20:50)
- Genetic predisposition vs. lifestyle (20:50 – 23:16)
- Why insulin is so important (23:16 – 29:05)
- Low-fat diets don’t create good health (29:05 – 32:40)
- Politicization of nutrition and medical information (32:40 – 36:14)
- How to tell if you have insulin resistance (36:14 – 40:22)
- Shortcomings of the glycemic index (40:22 – 42:09)
- Interpreting your lab results (42:09 – 47:20)
- What to do about your insulin resistance (47:20 – 52:31)
- Turn insulin resistance around in 3 days (52:31 – 53:07)
- Good fat vs. bad fat (53:07 – 55:39)
- Healthful snacking (55:39 – 1:00:01)
- The Mediterranean lifestyle (1:00:22 – 1:06:14)
- The COVID-19 connection (1:06:14 – 1:09:57)
Learn more about Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS, and his work at JonnyBowden.com.
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.