Your eyes are the window to your soul, but your skin is a veritable billboard of your health. And just as stress wreaks havoc on your body, it also does a number on your skin. Through the pandemic, people are suffering from hair loss, psoriasis, eczema outbreaks and mystery rashes…not to mention “maskne.”
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, Allison Truong, MD, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to talk about the meaning of many common—and even a few rare—skin conditions. Dr. Truong is a board-certified dermatologist with Cedars-Sinai Medical Group in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, California.
Topics covered include…
- Your skin reflects stress levels and your overall health (5:08 – 8:43)
- What can trigger itching and cold sores (8:43 – 11:50)
- Hair loss due to COVID-19 stress (11:50 – 15:05)
- Temporary vs. permanent hair loss (15:05 – 16:59)
- Hair loss caused by anemia, thyroid problems or surgery (16:59 – 19:29)
- When to worry about hair loss (19:29 – 20:33)
- How meditation and yoga help skin problems (20:33 – 21:49)
- The six- to 12-month window (21:49 – 23:32)
- When weight loss causes hair loss (23:32 – 25:16)
- The real meaning of alopecia (25:16 – 27:17)
- Hormonal hair loss in men and women (27:17 – 28:25)
- Best shampoo for hair loss (28:25 – 30:55)
- Hair types vulnerable to alopecia (30:55 – 32:50)
- Topical regimen for stress-related hair loss (32:50 – 35:04)
- Supplements for hair loss (35:04 – 38:39)
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for hair loss (38:39 – 40:55)
- How winter weather and/or stress affect acne, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, etc. (40:55 – 43:42)
- When to see a doctor for new skin issues (43:42 – 46:03)
- Diet, light therapy and other approaches (46:03 – 50:31)
- Avoiding “maskne” during COVID-19 (50:31 – 54:32)
- Red spots and allergic reactions to masks (54:32 – 57:19)
Learn more about Allison Truong, MD, at https://bio.cedars-sinai.org/truongak/index.html.
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.