COVID has only made health care more complicated and patient advocacy more important than ever before. There is no handbook for how to navigate through doctors’ gatekeepers, insurance restrictions and the trials and tribulations of drug side effects and painful procedures, leaving patients to suffer on their own. Until now.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner, Amy Dixon, blind US Paratriathlon National team member, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to share her secrets to getting the best health care for you and your loved ones.
- When autoimmune disease strikes: A tale of compound illness and treatments that help and harm (5:35- 8:57)
- Illness and treatments that help and harm
- Why Amy considers herself lucky (8:57 – 10:00)
- Amy explains who is in charge (10:00 – 11:19)
- Managing conflicting advice and competitive doctors (11:19 – 13:18)
- Step 1: The importance of rapport with your doctor (13:18 – 17:18)
- Always find the best for what you have (17:18 – 18:27)
- How to find that amazing specialist (18:27 – 22:40)
- The blessing of telemedicine (22:40- 25:03)
- Getting past the doctor’s gatekeepers (25:03 – 31:46)
- You’re paying more for your doctor’s brain than personality (31:46 – 34:55)
- What should you bring to every appointment? (34:55 – 40:30)
- Never be afraid to ask for a second opinion (40:30 – 42:50)
- Weighing old and experienced vs. young and newest learning (42:50- 45:27)
- Prescription secrets (45:27 – 52:47)
- Persistence pays (52:47 – 55:53)
- How to face the fear of unpleasant procedures 55:53 – 59:28)
- Be sure the doc knows you as a person beyond patient (59:28
Learn more about Amy and her work at AmyDixonUSA.com.
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.