The combination of work from home and high stress is creating a whole new problem for many people—weight gain. Stress eating and reduced activity makes us all vulnerable to packing on some pounds. There are simple steps to protect yourself without feeling deprived of those treats and comfort foods.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator with Sarah Hiner, Dr. Lisa R. Young, PhD, RDN, CDN, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to share how she is coaching her clients to keep calm in order to manage their food intake and avoid weight gain.
Dr. Young is an internationally recognized portion-control expert, professor of nutrition in the department of nutrition and food studies at New York University (NYU) and author of Finally Full, Finally Slim: 30 Days to Permanent Weight Loss One Portion at a Time.
Specific areas discussed…
- What staying home means from a weight point of view (1:59 – 2:55)
- Why we are vulnerable to weight gain right now (2:55 – 6:25)
- Adjusting food to at-home activity levels (6:25 – 7:55)
- Planned snacking (7:55 – 10:43)
- Why we crave comfort food (10:43 – 12:10)
- Enjoy a treat every day (12:10 – 14:00)
- The power of a structured day (14:00. – 20:00)
- Structured eating (20:00 – 23:30)
- Portion adjustment (23:30 – 25:12)
- Lisa’s favorite snacks(25:12 – 27:00)
- Find the positive (27:00 – 30:13)
- Using food as a surrogate for control (30:13 – 32:14)
- Polenta and other grains (32:14 – 32:49)
- Parenting during the quarantine (32:49 – 38:38)
- The frozen-veggie option (38:38 – 40:23)
- Always look at food as a positive opportunity vs. something to be controlled (40:23
Learn more about Dr. Young and her work at DrLisaYoung.com.
You can also download her handy portion guides for free…
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.