With the promising test results for COVID-19 vaccines, we’re finally seeing some hope for a return to normalcy. But there still are many important questions that the headlines don’t answer about the safety and efficacy of vaccines being created at “warp speed”…and the thorny ethical issues of who should get vaccinated first.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, Dr. Max Gomez, nine-time Emmy Award–winning medical journalist with New York’s CBS-TV, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to break down the crucial details we all need to know when considering the new COVID-19 vaccines.
Topics covered include…
- Surprisingly quick progress…but lots of future challenges (4:41 – 8:11
- What’s different about COVID vaccines (8:11 – 11:40)
- How the “coronavirus” got its name(11:40 – 12:20)
- Why COVID can also cause strokes and other nonrespiratory problems (12:20 – 13:04)
- The coronavirus’ “genius” for infiltrating our cells (13:04 – 14:11)
- What allows COVID vaccines to be produced so fast? (14:11 – 19:29)
- Do COVID vaccines protect people at highest risk? (19:29 – 22:20)
- Unusual dosing with the AstraZeneca/Oxford trial (22:20 – 25:07)
- The ground-breaking technology used in Pfizer and Moderna vaccines (25:07 – 32:48)
- Is immunity long-lasting from COVID vaccines? (32:48 – 34:15)
- The safety of genetically modified vaccine materials (34:15 –38:05)
- Adverse effects detected so far (38:05 – 38:34)
- Will Dr. Max get the vaccine? (38:34 – 39:20)
- Transparency of research data during FDA review (39:20 – 40:27)
- Higher-than-expected efficacy results (40:27 – 41:50)
- Dangers of zinc and vitamin D deficiency with COVID (41:50 – 44:46)
- Storage considerations with COVID vaccines (44:46 – 49:31)
- Can people choose the vaccine they get? (49:31 – 51:01)
- Consumer cost and availability of COVID vaccines (51:01 – 53:59)
- Is there a clear winner among the three vaccines? (53:59 – 54:57)
- When to worry about adverse effects from a vaccine (54:57 – 57:45)
- How encouraged should we be? (57:45 – 1:01:07)
- Numbers needed to reach herd immunity (1:01:07 – 1:04:44)
- Who should get the vaccine first? (1:04:44 – 1:07:58)
You can learn about the many things that Dr. Max does at DrMaxGomez.com. And watch his “Max Minutes” at NewYork.CBSLocal.com/tag/max-minute
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.