“We need to protect life and the opportunity to live it.” —Dr. David Katz
Even as the country starts to reopen from the coronavirus pandemic and quarantine, there is deep fear and many questions about the safety of stepping back out into the world. However, the fact is COVID-19 is just one of millions of germs…and not nearly as deadly as many other common killers we confront people every day. A little perspective goes a long way.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner, Dr. David Katz, president of the True Health Initiative, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to help you feel safer and more confident when deciding to venture out.
- Life challenge that led to change (4:20 – 5:37)
- COVID-19 has become “epic” (5:37 – 10:00)
- Massive distortion of COVID-19 deaths versus other deaths (10:00 – 12:05)
- Cultural fear about the lack of control over COVID-19 (12:15 – 13:45)
- COVID timeline versus other diseases (13:45 – 15:42)
- COVID is exotic (15:42 – 16:25)
- What happened to “bend the curve”? (16:25 – 19:08)
- The great thing about asymptomatic COVID (19:08 – 24;45)
- Risk stratifying the population (24:45 – 25:43)
- The importance of herd immunity (25:43 – 26:21)
- Can the health-care system handle the opening? (26:21 – 27:41)
- Should we lock people in nursing homes with no outside contact? (27:41 -29:36)
- What will happen with the vaccine in the coming months and years? (29:36 – 32:42)
- Understanding (2:42- 35:31)
- Other germs we are surrounded by daily (35:31 – 38:47)
- Risk among kids is very small (38:47 – 41:52)
- Risk for asthmatics (41:52 – 42:15)
- How to decide your risk (42:15 –
To view the diet assessment discussed in the podcast, click here.
And for the True Health Initiative Risk Assessment Grid, click here.
To learn more about Dr. Katz and his work, go to DavidKatzMD.com.
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.