Change can be intimidating…especially big change. But what if you needed to make only tiny changes to achieve big results?
BJ Fogg, PhD, known as “the world’s leading expert on habit formation,” is a behavior scientist and founder and director of the Behavior Design Lab at Stanford University. In his new book Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything, available in December 2019, he shares new and groundbreaking ways to change behavior. And in this podcast, BJ shares his breakthrough method for creating new habits, called “Tiny Habits.”
In this episode of the Bottom Line Advocator podcast, BJ joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to discuss his new book and explain the Tiny Habits method, which helps people achieve their goals in business and at home simply by making tiny changes—no willpower required.
Other topics explored:
- BJ’s career shift from the study of technology to the study of changing human behavior (1:44 – 4:20)
- The two things that matter more than anything else (4:20 – 6:20)
- Exploring the word “habit,”and why emotions create habits (6:30 – 10:37)
- Are all habits created equal? (10:39 – 12:05)
- The Fogg behavior method vs. the Tiny Habits method (the easiest way to bring new habits into your life) (12:10 – 16:23)
- What’s the smallest new habit you can implement that will have the biggest impact? (16:25 – 18:50)
- How to design habits for consistency (18:55 – 21:00)
- Breaking down BJ’s behavior model (B=MAP) and applying it to daily life (21:02 – 25:06)
- A different way of adding good habits and creating change (25:07 – 27:15)
- How to hack your emotions in order to supercharge habit formation (the better you are at feeling positive emotions, the faster you can create habits) (27:15 – 31:37)
- How your environment affects your habits (BJ shares a personal experience) (31:40 – 36:27)
- Three-phase process of untangling unwanted behavior (37:22 – 41:12)
- The relationship between excuses and habits (41:19 – 44:25)
You can learn more about BJ and his book, Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything, by visiting his Tinyhabits.com or BJ’s personal website, BJFogg.com.
Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast on Apple Podcasts and share a review.