With millions of people stuck at home due to COVID-19, overeating has become a national pastime. Add to this the comfort-food bonanza that occurs during winter, and you have a perfect recipe to pack on even more pounds as the temperatures drop. But it doesn’t have to be that way!
If you understand what fuels winter weight gain, you can take control and protect your body from the harm that occurs when you tip the scales. In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast, Lisa Young, PhD, RDN, CDN, joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to share her secrets for keeping your weight in check during these months of “hibernation.” An internationally recognized nutritionist and portion-control expert, Dr. Young is author of Finally Full, Finally Slim and The Portion Teller Plan.
Topics covered include…
- Little-known reasons why we gain weight in winter (5:49 – 8:46)
- The link between vitamin D and weight gain (8:46 – 11:55)
- How vitamin D affects your risk for COVID-19 (11:55 – 13:03)
- The benefits of early-morning sunshine (13:03 – 14:17)
- Why poor sleep fuels weight gain (14:13 – 15:20)
- The hidden trap of dehydration (15:20 – 16:57)
- Why “delay…don’t deny” is a winning philosophy (16:57 – 19:17)
- To treat yourself, have this…not that (19:17 – 21:45)
- Smart ways to enjoy nuts and dried fruit (21:45 – 24:06)
- Why we should all eat frozen fruit and veggies (24:06 – 25:23)
- Toasted sesame oil, pepper flakes and other yummy (25:23 – 27:01)
- Tricks to avoid pigging out on favorite treats (27:01 – 28:48)
- Simple hand measurements for portion control (28:48 – 31:37)
- The right mentality for eating fruits and veggies (31:37 – 32:58)
- Foods that boost your energy levels (32:58 – 33:49)
- What to watch for when having canned vegetables (33:49 – 34:35)
- Does exercise really help with weight loss? (34:35 – 38:04)
- How to satisfy potato chip cravings (38:04 – 39:50)
- The rewards of mindful eating (39:50 – 42:20)
- A healthy way to eat at your desk (42:20 – 43:07)
- How to tell if you’re still hungry (43:07 – 43:45)
- Choosing the right plates for smart eating habits (43:45 – 46:00)
- How darkness affects mood and eating habits (46:00 – 46:44)
- Tasty and fun snacks for late-night hunger attacks (46:44 – 48:21)
- Healthy ways to enjoy hot chocolate and other treats (48:21 – 49:50)
- Delicious and nutritious breads and other satisfying foods (49:50 – 52:18)
Learn more about Lisa Young, PhD, RDN, CDN, and her work at DrLisaYoung.com.
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.