Parents have been put in a horrible situation through the COVID-19 pandemic. Besides dealing with their own health and the health of their families, they’ve had to home-school…and entertain…and help their children deal with their confusion and fears. Now, as the country works to open up, there are many questions confronting parents about the future.
In this edition of the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner, emergency-room doctor and mother of two Dr. Darria Long Gillespie joins Bottom Line President Sarah Hiner to answer the questions that so many parents have about COVID and their children.
Specific topics covered…
- Challenges parents are facing (00:00 – 5:13)
- How dangerous is COVID for kids…really (5:13 – 6:27)
- How common are rare reactions to illness (6:27 – 8:50)
- Do childhood vaccinations impact COVID vulnerability (8:50 – 10:28)
- Research findings regarding kids and COVID (10:28 – 12:19)
- Quarantine pods for children (12:19 – 14:42)
- Questions about how long immunity lasts (14:42 – 15:28)
- Understanding the Kawasaki-like response to COVID (15:28 – 16:40)
- Weighing multiple types of risks (16:40 – 18:11)
- Dr. Darria’s 4D system of decision making (18:11 – 21:50)
- Kids and the grocery store (21:50 – 23:00)
- Kids and play dates (23:00 – 24:52)
- Should you let your kids play team sports (24:52 – 28:36)
- Safety strategies at playgrounds (28:36 – 30:15)
- If kids rarely get COVID, why isolate them? (30:15 – 32:45)
- Dr. Darria’s opinion on kids returning to school (32:45 – 35:02)
- Emotional damage to children—rise in anxiety (35:02 – 41:31)
- Hand sanitizer smarts (41:31 – 43:15)
- Help for stressed out parents (43:15 – 45:48)
- Take something off your plate (45:48 – 46:52)
- “Rupture and repair” is important (46:52 – 49:44)
- Let your children try new things (49:44 – 50:50)
- How to strengthen kids’ immune systems (50:50 –
You can follow Dr. Darria on Instagram and Facebook @DrDarria.
Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.
You can connect with and stay in touch with Sarah at her website www.bottomlineinc.com! Find Bottom Line on Facebook @WeAreBottomLine and at Bottom Line Inc. on www.linkedin.com.
And if you enjoyed this podcast, please share a review so that more people can benefit from Be sure to subscribe to the Bottom Line Advocator Podcast with Sarah Hiner on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.